The purpose of this policy is to set out procedure that should be followed to ensure a consistent and effective approach is in place. Library reserves the right to amend this policy whenever required without any prior notice. Library patrons are to be bound by these terms.
E-Library consists of three (3) things:
- Library portal – It is providing the information related to the library itself, such as policies, news, contact us, guidelines, service & facilities and more. You also may find e-resources through the library portal.
- Digital Collection Management System (DCMS) – It provides digitize thesis, exam papers, newspaper articles, journals, books, etc.
- Open Access Catalog Communication (OPAC), eClik – a place where patrons can search for resources/ materials. In addition, it is also for item renewal, checking overdue and fines.
In relation to DCMS, it is your responsibility to determine the resources whether the material is in copyright. You may first need to find the copyright owner to obtain their permission.
The library has the rights to change or update the content and layout of the e-library.
Electronic Resources Policy
It is the responsibility of each user to ensure that use of these electronic resources is for educational, scholarly and research purposes only. Prohibited activities include, but not limited to:
- Commercial use
- Violating Brunei Copyright Order
- Transmitting, sharing, copying or making accessible online content to non-UBD community
- Use of scripts, robots, or crawlers or any data mining tools to automatically copy and download licensed resources
These prohibited activities jeopardize the UBD community’s continued access to licensed electronic resources. Violation of this policy and the licenses terms may result in loss of privileges and access.
Computer Lab Policy
4 computer labs available in the library. The location and opening time will be as follows:
- Room G.34 (ground floor) [8:00 – 22:00]
- MAC Lab (ground floor) [8:00 – 22:00]
- Room 1.27, Bilik Akik (1st floor) [8:00 – 5:00]
- Room 2.15, Bilik Intan (2nd floor) – Training Lab [Only open for training]
All computers provide both internet access and Microsoft office suites for free.
- No food or drink
Food & drink are not permitted at computer workstations this include but not limited to water bottles and chewing gum. Your food & drink can be store at the main library entrance.
- Do not leave your belongings unattended
Please do not leave your personal belongings unattended. Staff are not responsible for lost, stolen or moved items. It is your responsibility to keep your own property safe and secure.
- Do not reserve workstation
The computer is based on first come, first served and it cannot be reserved. Please do not attempt to reserve a computer by leaving your belongings around it. If a station is left unattended more than 30 minutes or more, library staff may move your belongings so that another user may have access to the computer.
- Do not reconfigure computers
Please do not reconfigure computers, personalize desktops or alter another user’s files. If you have a legitimate reason to alter a computer. Please ask a staff member to find out the appropriate procedure.
- Do not move lab equipment and/or cables
You must not move or unplugged any lab equipment and/or cables including Ethernet cable.
- No laptop on the wired network
(Exception: instructors for instructional purposes). It is fine to have laptops in the labs and be on the wireless network, they just can’t be physically plugged into our power socket without plug in back the computer socket.
- No illegal copying of ANY materials
It is patrons’ responsibility to determine any resources whether the material is in copyright or you may find the copyright owner to obtain their permission.
- No offensive materials
Readers must not access, download or print pornographic or other offensive materials this includes but not limited to gambling, unsafe sites, hate/discrimination and gaming sites. Anyone found viewing offensive material will be requested to cease accessing the site.
- No disruptive behavior & keep sound levels to a minimum
Loud talking and chatter is prohibited, please respects with other users which their priority to use the lab is may be higher than yours. You may also use your own headphones/earpiece. If you need to talk to a phone calls, you may do so outside the lab.
- Storing personal files
Please do not store your personal files at the computer hard drives as the computer will be clean from time to time. To ensure that your personal files do not get destroyed, please save them to your external hard drives or USB flash drives.
- Keep computer lab clean
Please dispose of your own trash, and pack out any items that you brought in.
- Game playing & non-academic activities
During any time when the labs are busy, game playing, watching movies is prohibited. You may be asked to give up your workstation if you are working on non-academic activities.
- Theft, vandalism or abuse
Any form of theft, vandalism, or abuse is a grave offense and shall be dealt with accordingly.
- Software installation
You may not install software on computer workstations, including but not limited to games, instant messengers, media player, etc. if you need any specific software for academic purposes, please talk to a staff member to find out the appropriate procedure.
The labs are for UBD patrons ONLY. Library reserves the right to check for IDs. Surveillance cameras and security staff regularly patrol the computer lab. Willful violations of the above provisions shall constitute disciplinary actions. Violators may be subject to any, but not limited to, the following sanctions:
- Will be asked to leave the lab
- Temporary or permanent suspension of computer laboratory privileges
- Refund or replace the broken equipment
Training Lab Policy
Library provide computer lab for patrons to conduct classes or training.
- 25 PCs (windows operating system)
- Internet access
- Microsoft office suite
- Portable whiteboard
- PA system (upon request)
- Any user who wishes to conduct training or classes must first make a reservation at Research & Information Services counter.
- It is recommended to make request a week earlier to avoid disappointment and it is also to allow system division to prepare what is necessary.
- No last minute request will be entertained.
Public Computer Policy
- This policy governs access to public computers by guest without UBD ID.
- The public computer located in the view of public areas which are available and accessible at each floor.
- The public computers provide internet access
- The purpose for public computer are for searching materials/resources.
- Library staff reserves the rights to stop or restrict access anyone caught using the computer for other purposes, you may be asked to give up the public computer and use computer lab instead.
- These computers will automatically shut down when the library is closed.
Library shall not be liable for any loss, corrupted file or damage UBD Flash drives due to viruses, technical or system failures or any event beyond the reasonable control of Library.